Whether it's Chuck Bass or Serena Van Der Woodson talking, you know you'll get a bit of wisdom with each episode of Gossip Girl you watch. As PR professionals, we've found a lot of quotes in the show that help us (and will probably help you too!) in the world of public relations. You know you’ll love them…
1. "Sometimes you need to step outside, clear your head and remind yourself of who you are. And where you wanna be. And sometimes you have to venture outside your world in order to find yourself.” – Gossip Girl
During the middle of a stressful period, it’s easy to get caught up in the mess. It’s important to remember to distance yourself, when times get tough, to get your view back on the bigger picture. As PR professionals, we need to look at things from an aerial view and keep our minds on the end goal.
2. "They say every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and once something is set on motion, it can't help up to build a momentum.” – Gossip Girl
As communicators, we can often face situations where rumors break out and they’re hard to control. In this profession, we must be prepared to address these even when they’ve built up momentum. Act wisely, kindly, and remember that even though momentum builds it will eventually slow down.
3. "They say the universe has a great sense of humor. That sometimes having your dreams come true can feel like a nightmare. Because getting what you want always come with strings attached." – Gossip Girl
Sometimes we fight so hard for what we believe we want and what we believe is best for everyone involved. However, once it happens it might not turn out how we expected. As a PR professional, it’s important to keep in mind that you need to always have a backup plan – just in case your original plan doesn’t pan out.
4. “Destiny is for losers. It’s just a stupid excuse to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen.” – Blair Waldorf
In the PR industry, and in most areas of life, you can’t expect things to be handed to you. You need to stay on top of your game – perfect your storytelling and pitching – and work hard for what you want. You can’t sit idly by and expect things to turn out like you’d like them to.
5. “If you really want something you don’t stop for anyone or anything until you get it – Blair Waldorf
Tying into the last quote as well, if you want it you’ve got to fight for it. Fight to be the best, and don’t let anyone get in the way of what you’re trying to accomplish. Victory requires that PR professionals are armed with the willingness to lead the way to new PR strategies – you can’t change the game if you’re constantly letting other people get in your head.
6. “You can’t make people love you, but you can make them fear you.” – Blair Waldorf
You heard her – you will not always please everybody, but one thing is for sure – you can make sure they know you’re in it to win it and you’re always at the top of the game.
7. “If I cut everyone in my life who made a mistake, I wouldn’t have anyone left.” – Serena Van Der Woodson
It’s inevitable – people will make mistakes that affect you. That’s just the way life goes – but to succeed in business you must be willing to give out second chances. You’ll never know when you need that grace too.
8. “My impulsive tendencies have no place in my life as a legitimate businessman.” – Chuck Bass
Like Chuck, PR professionals we don’t need to make impulsive decisions in business. Remember to think about your plans and actions thoroughly – don’t make rash decisions.
9. “Cinderella did not Google Prince Charming” – Serena Van Der Woodson
Don’t always rely on the internet to tell you what you need to know. Take a look at your competitors’ successful campaigns and learn how to up your game by staying on top of the best industry practices. Google won’t always know the best way to do something…
10. “They say Rome wasn’t built in a day. And yet what a difference a day makes.” – Blair Waldorf
We can get so much done in a day – it’s important to utilize your work hours! As PR professionals, no one day is the same. Make the most of the days you have. Stay focused, work hard, and you’ll notice that even though great things take time, you can make tremendous strides in just one day.
Gossip Gi… RMPR.